My food goal for today was to make dinner without having to go to the supermarket. I succeeded! I made a black bean chili, using up some frozen leftover black beans and one of my favourite pantry essentials, tinned tomatoes. As a side, I made veggie fritters using frozen sweetcorn and a green pepper.
For the chili I used :
- 3 small red onions, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- black beans, equivalent of one tin approx.
- 2 teaspoons each of chili powder, dried cumin, dried coriander and paprika
- First I sauteed the onions and garlic in olive oil until softened and fragrant. I added my dried spices and let cook for a few minutes to get rid of the raw flavour. Then I added the celery and carrots and cooked for about 3 more minutes, until slightly softened. I poured in the tinned tomatoes and left to simmer while I prepped the ingredients for the veggie fritters.
- I added the black beans in their broth. I blended about 1/3 of the chili to give a thicker texture and then returned to the pot.
I didn’t measure ingredients for the fritters, but here’s a rough idea :
- 2 eggs
- 200g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- splash of milk
- 50g grated cheese
- 100g sweetcorn
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- I cracked the eggs into a measuring jug and whisked in the baking powder, milk and flour.
- I added the chopped veg and cheddar cheese and mixed until combined.
- I fried in butter, about 5 minutes on each side.