In preparation for the week ahead I made granola bars on Sunday afternoon. I find work less daunting once I know I won’t be hungry! Plus, making your own snacks instead of running out to the shop is very economical.
I used :
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup dates, soaked in hot water
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 handfuls dried coconut
- First I prepared a baking dish by lining with cling film and brushing over a tiny bit of melted coconut oil to prevent the bars from sticking.
- Then I toasted the oats and coconuts in a 180C oven for 10 minutes, just to make them fragrant and enhance the flavour.
- For the liquid element I soaked the dates in boiling water for a few minutes to soften before I blended them in a food processor.
- Next I scraped the date paste into a large saucepan with the coconut oil, peanut butter and honey. I stirred over a low heat for a few minutes just to soften everything and make mixing easier.
- I added the oats and coconuts to the saucepan and mixed with my hands.
- I poured this mixture into my prepared dish, squished it into all the corners and smoothed out the top.
- I chilled in the fridge for a few hours and then I sliced into bars.
These were easy and delicious. I look forward to having them as mid-morning or post-gym snacks throughout the week!