For today’s dinner I freestyled an aubergine stew/very thick pasta sauce. I had planned on making a middle-eastern flavoured dish but when I realised I was missing quite a few ingredients I improvised this instead. It won’t win any photo contests but it was delicious and healthy. I ate it with some gnocchi and have enough leftover for lunch tomorrow.
I used :
- 1 aubergine
- 2 finely chopped red onions
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 grated carrots
- 8 small plum tomatoes plus 1 can chopped tomatoes
- glass of red wine
- 1/2 packet of tempeh chopped into small cubes
- finely sliced bunch of spring onions
- gnocchi to serve
- I gave the aubergine a head start by seasoning with Maldon salt and cooking over a low heat while I chopped everything else.
- I added the onions and garlic with some dried basil and let soften for a few minutes.
- I added the carrots, peppers and tomatoes and let cook for about 10 minutes, until everything had softened.
- I removed half and blended it with the wine to give a saucier consistency.
- I returned the blended portion and added the tempeh and spring onions right when I put the gnocchi on to cook.
- I ate it! Delicious, hearty yet light.